2019 IFSA World Congress and NAFIPS Annual Conference

June 18-21, 2019 - Lafayette, Louisiana, USA

[Return to main page]

IFSA - NAFIPS 2019: Visa Information

How do I obtain a visa to attend the conference?

The visa application process can take 8 months or more, so we encourage attendees from countries other than the United States to apply for visas as early as possible, but no later than 3 months before they wish to enter the United States. Please note that a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States!

Individuals may request a letter of invitation by contacting R. Baker Kearfott. Please include the meeting name, your full name as it appears on your passport, as well as your gender, date of birth, complete mailing address, passport number and country of issue, and phone and fax numbers. We are not able to contact US embassies in support of an individual attempting to gain entry into the host country to attend a meeting or conference.

Visitor Visa

For detailed information about applying for a visa, visit the US Department of State web site.

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), for tourism (visa category B-2), or for a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).

Here are some examples of activities permitted with a visitor visa:
Business (B-1) allows you to attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
Tourism (B-2) allows: Tourism, Vacation (holiday), visit with friends or relatives

Visa Waiver Program

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables most citizens or nationals of participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. Travelers must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel and meet all requirements explained below. If you prefer to have a visa in your passport, you may still apply for a visitor (B) visa.

For detailed information about the visa waver program, visit the US Department of State web site.