Applied Mathematics Seminar (Math 591-01 Spring, 1997)
Speakers and Topics /
R. Baker Kearfott,
University of Southwestern Louisiana
Office hours and
Course meeting times and place: Tuesdays, 3:30--4:45 in Maxim D.
Doucet Room number 214.
This page will contain current information and announcements,
so be sure to reload it frequently.
The goals of this weekly seminar are to:
- Introduce students to the broad range of research
pursued by U.S.L. Mathematics Department faculty.
- Allow students to present their research results, to
- stimulate new and original research;
- give students practice in research and expository
Speakers and Topics
As of March 11, 1997, the following persons have agreed
to speak in the seminar:
- Dian Jianwei
- Title of Talk: Qualitative Theory of
Information (I): Basic Concepts and Convergence.
Date: March 4, 1997.
- Xiaoxu Han
- Title of Talk: Introduction of The Application of Feed Forward Neural
Networks in Numerical Computation
Date: April 8, 1997.
- R. Baker Kearfott
- Title of Talk: Existence and Uniqueness
Verification of Singular Zeros of Nonlinear Systems
Date: February 18, 1997.
- Title of Talk: INTOPT_90: A Suite of Fortran
90 Programs for Verified Global Optimization
Date: March 18, 1997.
- David Marshall
- Title of talk: A Generalized Lotka-Volterra Predator-Prey Model.
Date: April 29, 1997.
- Scott Semel
- Title of Talk: Wavelets and Data Compression.
Date: April 22, 1997
- Qin Sheng
- Title of talk: Computations of the Exponential
of a Matrix and Exponential Splittings
Date: February 4, 1997.
- A. S. Vatsala
- Title of Talk: Faster Convergence of Methods for
Date: February 25, 1997
- Jianmin Zhu
- Title of talk: The Phenomenon of Quenching: Physical
Background and Current Results in Hyperbolic Equations
Date: March 11, 1997.
no. Date Speaker
--- January 28 (Graduate faculty meeting)
1 Feburary 4 Qin Sheng
2 February 18 R. Baker Kearfott
3 February 25 A. S. Vatsala
4 March 4 Dian Jianwei
5 March 11 Zhu Jianmin
6 March 18 R. Baker Kearfott
7 March 25 (Applied math. committee meeting)
8 April 1
9 April 8 Xiaoxu Han
10 April 22 Scott Semel
11 April 29 David Marshall